Friday, January 8, 2021

Best of the Year: 1986 - An American Tail

 

So.... I haven't really felt up to blogging lately, but thinking about my favorite movie from 1986 has gotten me a bit inspired:

I'm not sure what prompted it (probably the desire to get out of the house with a screaming one-year-old), but for some reason in the summer of 1986 my Daddy decided to take me to a double-feature at the movie theater. I don't really remember much about the second movie (Star Trek III: The Search for Spock) and I allegedly fell asleep, but I definitely remember the first (I'm pretty sure my dad fell asleep!). I like Disney movies, but I didn't really fall in love with them until well into my teenage years during the 90s Disney renaissance. For me, it was all about Don Bluth. My childhood favorites included The Secret of Nimh, The Land Before Time, and, of course, An American Tail.

It's probably strange to say, but An American Tail was formative for my patriotism. It exemplifies everything that wish our country to be: a haven for those against atrocities, a country of opportunity where we work together for the good of all, and a place where, despite our differences, despite how very far apart we are... we can be unified in the knowledge that we might be wishing on the same bright star.

The decision to use the actual child actors' rather than vocal replacements in the song featured below was pure genius. The truth, pain, and hope behind their breaking voices will never cease to completely wreck every emotion I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment