Wednesday, November 24, 2010

153. Bottle Rocket (1996)

Photobucket

One morning, over at Elizabeth's beach house, she asked me if I'd rather go water-skiing or lay out. And I realized that not only did I not want to answer THAT question, but I never wanted to answer another water-sports question, or see any of these people again for the rest of my life.

As diverse as people are, it sometimes amazes me how similar most movies are. People even tend to place movies in such limited boxes that they can say things like "I don't like dramas" or "I only like action movies". Movies end up being formulaic and familiar because the average person wants to turn off their mind and watch something that makes them comfortable (or at least that's what movie producers think). Still, every once in a while an autuer comes along who has a style that is completely unlike anyone else. Wes Anderson is defiantly original. This movie was his first, and it was so unique that it was denied entrance into the Sundance film festival and completely bombed after its studio showed it on only 48 screens. Now, most people may say that this must mean that the movie is just plain bad, but I promise it's not, it's just plain different. In Roger Ebert's original review, he was critical of Anderson's disjointed, wandering storytelling, but ended by saying that he is looking forward to what he does next. This movie also introduced the world to the Wilson brothers (Owen and Luke), who co-wrote and starred in the movie. Owen was so disappointed with the films failure that he seriously considered joining the Marines before landing a role in "Anacondo"...

No comments:

Post a Comment