Sunday, November 7, 2010

136. Forrest Gump (1994)

Photobucket

You know it's funny what a young man recollects? 'Cause I don't remember bein' born. I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the wide world.

I have this completely irrational thing when it comes to movies. No matter how much I like a movie, I will always hold some amount of disdain for it if it wins Academy Awards that it didn't deserve. There have been quite a few movies like this over the past twenty or so years (Crash, American Beauty, A Beautiful Mind, Return of the King, just to name a few). Suffice it to say, "Forrest Gump" fits this mold. It is a near perfect little movie. Tracing the most important moments in the past fifty years of U.S. history through the eyes of a lovable "man-child" was a stroke of genius. Still, over the next four days I will chronicle four movies from four of my favorite directors (Luc Besson, Quentin Tarantino, Oliver Stone, and Kevin Smith)that deserve all the accolades that they have recieved and (as bitter as it may sound) most of the accolades that "Forrest Gump" recieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment