Monday, November 15, 2010

144. Toy Story (1995)

Photobucket

-I've set my laser from stun to kill.
-Oh, great. If anyone attacks we can blink em' to death.


Pixar. 15 years, 11 movies, 11 fresh tomatometer ratings, 5 Best Animated Feature Oscars (the category is only 9 years old), and not a single average movie in the entire bunch. What's even more amazing is that they keep getting better (more on that on this blog for the next 7 months).

As for this film, if you didn't imagine what your toys did when you were away then I'm sorry for you. I'll be honest, I figured my G.I. Joes and Masters of the Universe would team up and have epic wars with Skeletor's minions and Cobra under the leadership of Darth Vader from his Star Destroyer. This movie takes that childhood imagination and adds emotion and drive to the inanimate objects. The fact that the toys are sincerely worried about being replace and want nothing more than to be played with is simple, adorable, and ultimately heartbreaking (as we all know what our toys are doing now that we are grownups). Although the original is a excellent movie on its own, this movie's main legacy will be setting up these characters so that they can take part in probably the two greatest animated movies of all time in 1999 and 2010 (more on those later...).

No comments:

Post a Comment