Wednesday, November 3, 2010

131. Reality Bites (1994)

Photobucket

There's no point to any of this. It's all just a... a random lottery of meaningless tragedy and a series of near escapes. So I take pleasure in the details. You know... a Quarter-Pounder with cheese, those are good, the sky about ten minutes before it starts to rain, the moment where your laughter become a cackle... and I, I sit back and I smoke my Camel Straights and I ride my own melt.

Ethan Hawke is my favorite actor of all time. This is the movie where he developed his on-screen persona as the "existential slacker" that he has carried through many other movies. To me, this is the perfect movie character: Good looking, a lot to say about everything, problems (but not really overwhelmed by them), and never ever a bore. Combine Hawke's artsy slacker with Wynona Rider's stressed-out genius, Janeane Garofalo's jaded "best-friend", Steve Zahn's closeted homosexual, and Ben Stiller's yuppie executive and you have the makings of one of the best coming-of-age stories of all time. The soundtrack to this movie is also outstanding with the introduction of the goddess that is Lisa Loeb and Ethan Hawke reviving the Violent Femmes.

No comments:

Post a Comment