Friday, November 5, 2010

134. Hoop Dreams (1994)

Photobucket

People always say to me, "when you get to the NBA, don't forget about me." Well, I should've said back, "if I don't make it to the NBA, don't you forget about me."

Roger Ebert has called this movie the best documentary of all time. I can see why. It is the story of two young boys' journeys to make a life for themselves with basketball. Recently this movie contrasts with the very interesting story of Lebron's high school team: "More than a Game". Both movies document the dreams of young, poor, urban children fighting for a chance with basketball, but let's just say neither William Gates nor Arthur Agee sold many sneakers in their career. At nearly three hours, the movie certainly requires some dedication from the veiwer, but it captivates with its moving drama as the viewer follows the young men both on the court and off.

No comments:

Post a Comment