Saturday, November 20, 2010

148. Romeo + Juliet (1996)

Photobucket

Death, that hath sucked the honey of thy breath, hath had no power yet upon thy beauty.

I wrote about this movie when I introduced Baz Luhrmann as one of my favorite directors with "Strictly Ballroom". As I stated before, it is astounding to me that a major hollywood studio entrusted this Australian unknown with nearly twenty million dollars and two of the hottest rising stars based upon an idea to remake Shakespeare for an alternate universe Souther California AND keep the Bard's dialogue intact. Helped with amazing performances from Dicaprio and Danes and an awesome soundtrack, Luhrmann pulled off the seemingly impossible. Sometimes lost in the flamboyant awesomeness of this movie are the little touches like the shot above and some amazing forgotten performances by Harold Perrineau (dude from Lost, Oz, and The Matrix) as Mercutio and John Leguizamo as Tybalt.

No comments:

Post a Comment