Sunday, November 7, 2010

135. The Lion King (1994)

Photobucket

Let me get this straight. You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's okay with this? .... Did I miss something?

Argue if you like, but here I present Disney's last great film. Sure, Pixar's films are distributed by Disney and a couple of later films will appear on this list, but this was the traditional Walt Disney animation studio's swan song. And what a song it was. This film is straight-up epic. Without a single line of dialogue the opening scene alone sets the stage for a story told on a beautiful grand scale. I think what really makes the movie stands out are its songs. There are other Disney songs I like better, but this soundtrack from top to bottom I think is the best of the studio's offerings. Think about it: "The Circle of Life", "I Just Can't Wait (to be King)", "Be Prepared", "Hakuna Matata", and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". I'm also a little biased because I had the priviledge to sing that last duet with Angie Cascioli at my 8th grade chorus concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment