Sunday, October 24, 2010

122. Sneakers (1992)

Photobucket

In a surprise announcement, the Republican National Committee has revealed it is bankrupt. A spokesman for the party said they had plenty of money in their accounts last week, but today they just don't know where the money has gone. But not everybody is going begging. Amnesty International, Greenpeace and the United Negro College Fund announced record earnings this week, due mostly to large, anonymous donations.

This movie was the beginning of my obsession with bank robbing. Obviously I'm not ever going to rob a bank, but the idea of stealing from the haves and giving to the have-nots has always intrigued me. When this movie came out, I was just getting to the realization that I would never be a professional basketball player. I replaced this dream with the dream of having a team like the one in this movie. Nerd professionals who were hired by bank executives to rob their banks to point out the flaws. I even wanted an old utility van like the guys have. We also needed cool names (and nicknames) like Whistler, Crease, Mother, Bishop, Cosmo, and Carl. It may sound rather geeky, but my high school and college years weren't spent at parties. Time I didn't spend with a girlfriend was spent with my friend Brian Saleeby. Our Friday nights usually went like this: Catch a movie, get Taco Bell drive-thru, and then eat it in the back of my truck in the Greenville Mall parking lot while discussing ways we could rob all of the banks in the vicinity. (Wow! that really does sound geeky!)

"Sneakers" is a really fun movie with an all-star cast (Robert Redford, Ben Kingsley, Dan Akroyd, Sidney Poitier, David Strathairn, and River Phoenix). If you haven't seen it, I suggest you track it down immediately!

1 comment:

  1. I am sure you and Brian are smart enough to rob a bank, but I am very glad that you never went through with the plans.

    ReplyDelete