Thursday, October 7, 2010

105. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)

Photobucket

September 21, 1945... that was the night I died.

I would venture to say that most people (especially in the US) view war as a necessary evil. How else would we "protect our freedom"? I am not saying that this view is wrong, but I do believe that it is the duty of a proponent of war to gain an understanding of its sometimes unforeseen tragedies. More than any other film I have ever seen (including live-action documentaries) this movie paints the bleek picture of the collateral damage of war as seen through the eyes of a young brother and sister. Their struggle to survive in World War II Japan is moving, beautiful, and extremely tragic. If you can sit through this movie and still see war as an answer to any problem, then I will truly respect your opinion (although, I'll still be quite baffled by it). I must issue a warning, this is one of the saddest and most depressing movies of all time, but, for this reason, I also feel that it is one of the most important movies ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment