Tuesday, October 5, 2010

103. Willow (1988)

Photobucket

-What the hell happened up there?
-You started spouting poetry. "I love you Sorsha! I worship you Sorsha!" You almost got us killed!
-"I love you Sorsha?" I don't love her, she kicked me in the face! I hate her... Don't I?


The fantasy genre is a little lacking when it comes to feature films. You pretty much have the Lord of the Rings trilogy and ... .... Krull I guess... As much as it pains me to say it, I think that sword and scorcery fantasy is simply better served through print media (whether it be books or roleplaying supplements) than the big screen. One exception to this for me has always been Willow. A George Lucas story directed by Ron Howard about the actor who portrayed Wicket the Ewok saving a little red-haired baby (and thus the good of all humanity) with the help of a sword-weilding Val Kilmer. I tingle just thinking about how much fun this movie is. It has been pretty much forgotten over the years, so I urge all of those under the age of 22 to find a copy of this and watch it immediately.

Along with (even more forgotten) "Young Sherlock Holmes" this movie also included some of the first computer animation from Industrial Light and Magic which would eventually form the little offshoot known as Pixar (which George Lucas then sold to his buddy Steve Jobs). Much more about that little studio staring around 1994. Also, just for the record, I really tried to talk Angie into naming Abby "Elora Danan Tyer".

No comments:

Post a Comment