Wednesday, September 29, 2010

97. The Princess Bride (1987)

Photobucket

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

It may sound strange, but I truly believe that this movie is the most complete, all-around, best movie of all time. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that it was Oscar-worthy, and it certainly isn't a movie that I would even list among my top ten favorites of all time. Still, it is the most perfect combination of storytelling, humor, adventure, and just plain entertainment that has ever been put to celluloid. Watching the interplay of Andre the Giant, Mandy Patinkin, and Wallace Shawn as the three kidnappers is absolutely awesome. I could watch Billy Crystal's cameo as Miracle Max on a loop for a few hours and not get bored. An additional bit of trivia: the six-fingered man is portrayed by Christopher Guest who pretty much created the genre of mockumentary with "This is Spinal Tap", "Waiting for Guffman", and "Best in Show".

No comments:

Post a Comment