Thursday, September 23, 2010

91. Castle in the Sky (1986)

Photobucket

This is no longer a throne room. This is a tomb for the both of us. You see, a king without compassion does not deserve a kingdom. You will *never* possess the crystal! You and I will die here, together. Now I understand why the people of Laputa vanished. This is a song from my home in the valley of Gondoa that explains everything. It says, "Take root in the ground, live in harmony with the wind, plant your seeds in the Winter, and rejoice with the birds in the coming of Spring." No matter how many weapons you have, no matter how great your technology might be, the world cannot live without love.

My favorite film from Hayao Miyazaki. A young boy discovers an unconscious girl floating down from the sky, and together they embark on a journey to rediscover and protect Laputa (the lost city in the sky) from greedy pirates and insidious government agents. This movie offers edge-of-your seat action, completely original landscapes, awesome "steampunk"-like airships, and probably the most vivid, artistic visuals of any traditionally animated movie I have ever seen. A word of caution though, I urge you not to watch this movie with the dubbed English. James Van Der Beek simply ruins it for me playing the "little boy" in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment