Thursday, July 29, 2010

35. From Here to Eternity (1953)

Photobucket

Well, what am I? I'm a private no-class dogface. The way most civilians look at that, that's two steps up from nothin'.

If you ever have the desire to watch the movie "Pearl Harbor" with Ben Affleck, I want you to pick up the dvd case and smack yourself in the head with it, and then I want you to find this movie and check it out instead. When people ask me what my favorite "war" movie is, this is my answer. It's kind of a cheaty answer because most of the movie is a prelude to the attack on Pearl Harbor, but, what can I say, I prefer the prelude to war (or the lack of it entirely for that matter) much more than its realization.

Most of the time when a movie feels "long" it is not a good thing, but this is one of the few situations where a movie feels utterly epic but squeezes it all into a little less than 2 hours. Military exercises, love stories, drunkenness, boxing, barfights, all leading up to the climax that brings everybody back together. This movie is also probably the best film work of Frank Sinatra (he won an Academy Award for best supporting actor).

No comments:

Post a Comment