Saturday, July 17, 2010

23. Double Indemnity (1944)

Photobucket

Who'd you think I was anyway? The guy that walks into a good looking dame's front parlour and says, "Good afternoon, I sell accident insurance on husbands... you got one that's been around too long? One you'd like to turn into a little hard cash?"

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people talk about the recent "moral decay" of society. It usually goes something like, "When I was young we didn't......" or "In my day people never....." or (my blood curdinly least favorite) "We need to go back to when our nation was right with God." We are lucky in our country to have a pretty good account of history. If someone is too lazy to research real history all you have to do is check out some movies. "Double Indemnity" is a movie about a woman having an affair with an insurance salesman, then killing her husband to collect the insurance, making it look like an accident to collect double, and then having an affair with her daughter's boyfriend to provoke him into killing her (the daughter) because she has become suspicious. Whew! IN NINETEEN FREAKING FORTY-FOUR!!!!! Affairs! Murder! IN 1944! And this isn't a sub plot, this is it! IN 1944!

-Rant Over-

This is the first of four movies that will make it onto this list directed by the great Billy Wilder (not because I only liked four, but I simply need to see more...). It has awesome twists and turns and is one of the most thrilling movies ever made. Proof that you don't need big explosions to build suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment