Sunday, July 11, 2010

17. The Grapes of Wrath (1940)

Photobucket

So good it gets two quotes:
I'll be all around in the dark. I'll be everywhere. Wherever you can look, wherever there's a fight, so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Wherever there's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there. I'll be in the way guys yell when they're mad. I'll be in the way kids laugh when they're hungry and they know supper's ready, and when the people are eatin' the stuff they raise and livin' in the houses they build, I'll be there, too.

Rich fellas come up and they die, and their kids ain't no good and they die out, but we keep on coming. We're the people that live. They can't wipe us out, they can't lick us. We'll go on forever, Pa, cos we're the people.

A second movie directed by John Ford to make the 365, this is one of my absolute all-time favorites. The story of the Joad family moving out west during the great depression because they have lost their family farm is a tale of woe, family, love, and the perils of capitalism. The two quotes above pretty much nail the way I feel about the movie. If you haven't seen this movie or read the book or seen the play, I suggest you do one of them as soon as possible. If you are completely lazy, then listen to "The Ghost of Tom Joad" by Bruce Springsteen (or if you are under the age of 30 listen to the same song by Rage Against the Machine).

No comments:

Post a Comment