Sunday, July 18, 2010

24. To Have and Have Not (1944)

Photobucket

You know you don't have to act with me, Steve. You don't have to say anything, and you don't have to do anything. Not a thing. Oh, maybe just whistle. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and... blow.

My Grandmama Becton shares my love of movies. She usually watches one a night on Turner Classic Movies or Starz Westerns. She just turned 85 and is nearly the same age as Lauren Bacall. I share this because both Grandmama and Ms. Bacall look about twenty years younger than they are and she is the star of today's movie (Lauren Bacall not my Grandmama). I'm just going to put this out there: Lauren Bacall was NINETEEN when she delivered that famous line above. The film does the impossible. An unquestionably believable love story between a nineteen-year-old actress and a forty-four-year-old actor (Humphrey Bogart). Couple this with a script based on an Ernest Hemingway World War II era masterpiece and you have probably one of the most underappreciated films of all time (mostly due to the easy comparisons to the far more quotable "Casablanca").

No comments:

Post a Comment