Monday, July 26, 2010

32. The African Queen (1951)

Photobucket

Well I ain't sorry for you no more, ya crazy, psalm-singing, skinny old maid!

Probably my favorite "odd couple" romance of all time. I attribute this movie to my later love of "people talking" movies from Kevin Smith and Richard Linklater. Nearly the entire movie is Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn talking, arguing, solving problems and running from World War I era Germans. Hepburn plays a puritan, well-to-do charitable lady who needs transport out of enemy controlled east Africa. The only way out is on the jalopy of a ship "The African Queen" captained by a scruffy, grumpy, and most of the time drunk Bogart. I can imagine the title is a little misleading, but I urge you NOT to miss this movie...

No comments:

Post a Comment