Tuesday, November 3, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1965



 1965


Number of Movies I've Seen: 2, yup... only 2. I got about half way through Akira Kurosawa's Red Beard, but that will have to wait for another blog on another day.

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
The Sound of Music - This movie is a cinematic massage. Every moment feels comfortable, familiar, safe, and wholesome. It soothes every nerve and scratches every itch. I'm not sure it contains an imperfect moment. Every song hits just right, the unlikely romance is played perfectly, and Julie Andrews oozes charm out of every pore in her body. Also, I am required to say (especially since I neglected to do so in 2010) that "My Favorite Things" is still not a Christmas song.

Box Office Winner:
The Sound of Music 

My Top Ten:
1. The Sound of Music

2. Doctor Zhivago It's pretty. If Lean was going for tone poem set against the backdrop of the Communist revolution, he came pretty close for me (and nailed it for most if reviews are to be believed). Still, it falls short of his other epics because it is missing any heart. Nothing approaches Peter O'Toole's passion as D.H. Lawrence or William Holden's steely-eyed determination as Shears. I need more "Why?" The characters' actions lack even the tiniest bit of motivation in a time in Russian history that was rife with motivation. As I said....It's pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment