Monday, November 9, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1985


 

1985


Number of Movies I've Seen: 11

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  2

Oscar Winner:
Out of Africa - Quite possibly the blandest best picture winner I have watched. I didn't really dislike it, and it was really pretty, but wow what a snoozefest. Robert Redford deserves better.

Box Office Winner:
NEXT POST!

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Goonies - I nailed this one in my original blog, but this one will always hold a very special place in my heart. From my Facebook post on my sister's birthday this year:  35 years ago my daddy took me to my second movie in the theater. It was at the Plaza movie theater in Kinston (near where Big Lots is now). We watched The Goonies. Since I was only 3 years old (almost 4), I don’t really remember much about it the experience that day. However, I do love how my Dad lights up when he tells about how I fell out of my chair laughing during the “training wheels” scene. Of course, thanks to the wonders of home video, I have come to love that movie. 
I often wonder why my dad decided to take me to the movie theater that day....  seems like something else was happening around the corner at Lenoir Memorial Hospital....   something really life-changing....   hmmmmmm....  maybe it’ll come to me.  

3. The Breakfast Club - I need to rewatch this one with Abby. I haven't seen much from the brat pack, but I remember really liking this one.

4. Explorers - I've been digging Ethan Hawke since days of underoos. This movie wasn't as good as I remembered, but its still fun for River Phoenix, Hawke, and aliens.

5. The Color Purple - Another one I haven't seen in a very long time. Maybe one of the least talked about and yet not forgetten movies from Spielberg.

6. Spies Like Us - I remember loving this as a kid. I am in desperate need of a rewatch.

7. The Purple Rose of Cairo - I get it. It's about being in love with the movies. I am there for it. That's me. And yet.... I just don't buy the attraction. The fictional movie isn't very good (certainly not as good as "Top Hat") so I don't understand why Farrow's character is so entranced by it, and there is nearly no chemistry between Daniels (either version) and Farrow. This is especially puzzling because I have found Woody to be such a master at getting me to believe unconventional attraction (to a fault maybe...).

8. Day of the Dead - Probably my least favorite of the Dead films, but I admit, I have only seen it once. Definitely trying to talk Abby into a Romero-fest!

9. Clue - I saw this one only recently and it's cute. The multiple endings are a neat trick.

10. Follow that Bird: The Sesame Street Movie - The Goonies may have been a formative theater experience for me, but this one will always be my first. Thanks to my Grandmama Becton for taking me and nurturing my love of film. She passed away a few years ago, but there are still so many movies I wish I could talk about with her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment