Tuesday, November 17, 2020

The Year in Movies: 2005



 2005


Number of Movies I've Seen: 86

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  18

Oscar Winner:
Crash - I haven't seen this movie since I saw it in theaters. I remember liking it a bit. However, I will never forgive it for defeating the best movie of the year for the top prize.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Why We Fight - Quite possibly my favorite documentary film of all time. It is only right that my second favorite movie from 2005 would be a doc because it was truly the year of the documentary. 2 more movies on this top ten are documentary features and there were many more that barely missed the list including Grizzly Man and Murderball. Why We Fight is an examination of the military industrial complex in the modern United States. It is a scathing takedown of our last great export.... war.

3. Serenity - A cinematic ending to the greatest single season of television ever.

3. Happy Endings - Every once in a while a movie comes along that I love but everyone else hates. This would fit that category. I think it may have something to do with Maggie Gyllenhaal.

4. 49 Up - I've already talked about Michael Apted's epic documentary series, but I think this is its best entry so far. It is astounding how much the subjects have changed and many of their "stories" are very surprising.

5Imagine Me & You - An excellent twist on the romantic comedy that probably came out a half-decade too soon.

6. Rize - (Pictured Above) Every once in a while a non-professional can catch lightning in a bottle with the perfect concept. This is David LaChapelle's only movie. He is an artist who dabbled in making music videos when he decided to make a documentary about south central LA "crump" dancing. It is a blast!

7. The Devil's Rejects - I don't usually like horror, but something about this one really works for me. Rob Zombie's meld of southern rock and the gruesome Firefly family make for a very enjoyable guilty pleasure.

8. Junebug - Welcome to the world of cinema Ms. Amy Adams. Your presence will be celebrated for years to come!

9. Me and You and Everyone We Know - Miranda July doesn't make enough movies! This was her first and 15 years later I am waiting for an affordable stream for her third movie (Kajillionaire)

10. Manderlay - You probably won't like this one. Lars von Trier is an acquired taste. Not everybody can pull off a period drama about the last days of a slave-populated plantation filmed on a black soundstage with minimal sets.


No comments:

Post a Comment