Wednesday, December 9, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1936



   1936


Number of Movies I've Seen: 3

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  0

Oscar Winner:
The Great Ziegfeld - (PICTURED ABOVE) What an absolute chore to get through...   I thought about turning it off at the blackface, but it was followed by a pretty impressive musical number. I was wrong. No real beginning, middle, and end, and an editor who is completely asleep in the cutting room. I guess I get why people dug this in 1936 having pretty direct nostalgia to the "follies", but it isn't a very good movie.

Box Office Winner:
The Great Ziegfeld 

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Swing Time - I'd really like to make this one my favorite of the year, but I just can't bring myself to celebrate blackface. That's right... 2/3 of the movies I've seen from 1936 include minstrelsy. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers are the best of all time at what they do, I just wish the movies surrounding their dance numbers were better.

3. The Great Ziegfeld 

No comments:

Post a Comment