Thursday, October 29, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1955


 

1955


Number of Movies I've Seen: 5

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  2

Oscar Winner:
Marty - Feels like a really solid 1950s sitcom episode stretched to feature length. Borgnine is excellent and the film is good, but I just don't get how anyone thought this was the best movie of any year.

Box Office Winner:
Cinerama Holiday - So this sent me down a pretty interesting rabbit hole about "Cinerama", a three-projector, three-reel movie system with a curved screen that created a more immersive theater experience. This movie was the second one produced using this method, and I haven't seen it (or any movie presented in "cinerama" for that matter). It's pretty interesting though that the highest grossing movie of 1955 was a travel documentary.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. The Seven-Year Itch - This was almost my number one of the year. Marilyn Monroe was an embarrassingly overrated culture icon, but a grossly underrated actress. Her ability to pull off the ditzy-seeming blonde with a brain was near perfection. No film is more emblematic of this unfortunate dichotomy than this one. The famous "skirt" still from this movie takes away from what it has to say about relationships, feminism, and fidelity. Here's my review from 2010.

3. Lady and the Tramp - This is possibly my favorite of the "classic" Disney animated films. It is beautiful to behold and has a adventurous romance that is at the same time unbelievable and relatable. Skip the "live-action" remake though because they cut out the beaver who is definitely my favorite secondary character. Unfortunately, I didn't have much to say in 2010.

4. Rebel without a Cause - I am in desperate need of a rewatch of this. I remember really liking it, but it definitely hasn't stuck with me.

5. Marty

No comments:

Post a Comment