Sunday, October 25, 2020

Best of the Year: 1935 - A Night at the Opera

 


I am an optimist when it comes to criticism. I feel like art is always improving and that you can find our best music, movies, comics, and visual art in modern times. I lamented earlier this week to a student that the two genres of pop culture that seemed to me to break this rule are hip-hop music and comedic film. Just like I don't think modern hip-hop comes close to the best of the mid-90s, I don't think comedic film comes close to what these brothers were doing almost a century ago.

Duck Soup is probably their best film, but this one will always be my favorite. The musical performances and story just match-up so well with the mad-cap antics of Groucho, Chico, and Harpo.

Of course it was on my original list.

No comments:

Post a Comment