Thursday, October 22, 2020

The Year in Movies: 1925


 1925

I've put it off long enough. I promise I have started Battleship Potemkin multiple times and just haven't been able to finish it... Oh well, my first single movie year in review:

Number of Movies I've Seen: 1

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  0

Oscar Winner:
didn't exist yet

Box Office Winner:
The Big Parade - "The story of an idle rich boy who joins the US Army’s Rainbow Division and is sent to France to fight in World War I, becomes friends with two working class men, experiences the horrors of trench warfare, and finds love with a French girl."  Sounds interesting and is definitely on my watchlist.

My Top Ten:
1. The Gold Rush - (PICTURED ABOVE) If you've followed me at all, you know that I am not a huge Chaplin devotee. It isn't because he was a terrible human being (which he was). It is just that his movies don't connect with me as much as Keaton (and, later, the Marx Brothers). I probably liked this one the least of his three films on the AFI top 100 (Modern Times and City Lights being the other two). Chaplin's comedies gain their power from the heart. The "dinner roll" dance is cute, but it is also overwhelmingly sad because the love interest is unreasonably mean. What can I say? Technically groundbreaking, critically disappointing.


No comments:

Post a Comment