Sunday, October 4, 2020

Best of the Year: 1994 - Clerks



 Somewhere around 1999 I discovered film. Sure I loved Star Wars, action movies, sci-fi, and even some classics, but I hadn't truly discovered what I would come to love about movies. I had yet to see a film from Tarantino, Woody Allen, Kurosawa, Kubrick, Paul Thomas Anderson, or Richard Linklater. I'm not sure Clerks was my first venture into this strange new world, but it certainly feels like it. It had no explosions, no movie stars, no real plot, heck not even any color. What it lacked in normal movie tropes it made up for in what has become my favorite aspect of filmmaking: screenplay. I fell in love with listening to these characters talk. It was different, smart, and exciting. Thank you Kevin Smith. Because of you I discovered film. 

Here's my quick take from 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment