Saturday, June 26, 2010

2. The Cocoanuts (1929)

Photobucket

Well, I have already hit the first problem in my 365 day blog. I decided to do this chronologically to avoid bunched up similar movies (Star Wars I, II, III, Toy Story 1,2,3, Back to the Future, etc.). Then I realized that nine of my first 15 movies starred the Marx Brothers... Oh well, I guess this first couple of weeks will be pretty heavy with Groucho, Chico, and Harpo.

Marx brothers movies are pretty crazy. For some reason, I laugh harder at Groucho's wit, Chico's sarcasm, and Harpo's physical comedy than any modern "funny" movies. I just get it I guess. I warning to anyone who tries to watch some of these movies though (especially the early ones), the quality can be a bit sketchy and there are long song & dance numbers that have pretty much nothing to do with the plot.

Some of the highlights of The Cocoanuts include an awesome adjoining room hotel gag, Harpo chasing every woman he sees, and Groucho and Chico's perfectly timed banter. Just a taste:
Groucho: "All along the river those are all levees"
Chico: "That's the Jewish neighborhood?"

No comments:

Post a Comment