Monday, March 1, 2021

Best of the Year: 1947 - Out of the Past

 

I didn't love Robert Mitchum as a leading man, but I could definitely see why men would be willing to do anything for Jane Greer. The screenplay is the main character as every line is dripping with aloof noir coolness. Just check out this gem:

 I never saw her in the daytime. We seemed to live by night. What was left of the day went away like a pack of cigarettes you smoked. I didn't know where she lived. I never followed her. All I ever had to go on was a place and time to see her again. I don't know what we were waiting for. Maybe we thought the world would end.

Also, this movie makes me yearn for the alternate universe where Kirk Douglas was typecast as a ruthless villain and cast as the Joker in a 1960s serious Batman television series.

No comments:

Post a Comment