Tuesday, March 1, 2011

246. In America (2003)

Photobucket

-Are you in love with her?
-No... I'm in love with you. And I'm in love with your beautiful woman. And I'm in love with your kids. And I'm even in love with your unborn child. I'm even in love with your anger! I'm in love with anything that lives!


After being let down by the Oscar voters once again, it is nice to return to the blog and remind you of a truly amazing movie. If you have never heard of this movie, I urge you to track it down immediately. It is the perfect combination of hope, fantasy, heartache, innocence, and love. It deals with the issues of HIV, immigration, childhood, marraige, poverty, illegal immigration, and urban living in ways that other movies can only dream about. The power of the film rests in the narrative perspective. It is told through the eyes of the eldest daughter of an Irish immigrant family. She is in constant "contact" with her recently deceased little brother and is kept grounded by her very innocent little sister. Through this perspective the audience gets the innocence of the story without feeling the full brunt of the heartache that the family must be going through during their tough times.

No comments:

Post a Comment