Thursday, February 4, 2021

The Year in Movies: 1927



  1927


Number of Movies I've Seen: 3

Number of Movies from my original top 365:  1

Oscar Winner:
Wings -  I really intend on watching this, and I patiently await my notification that it has been added to the TCM app.

Box Office Winner:
The Jazz Singer - This is another I'm gonna have to skip. I know it's important (the first movie with synced audio and, arguably, the first movie musical), but I've seen enough blackface to realize the detriment that it did to culture for decades to come.

My Top Ten:
1. NEXT POST!

2. Sunrise - This is one of the most underseen, brilliant movies of all time. It's also a very good one to start with if you have never been able to "get into" silent movies or your experience ends with Chaplin and Keaton. The imdb description says it better than I can: An allegorical tale about a man fighting the good and evil within him. Both sides are made flesh - one a sophisticated woman he is attracted to and the other his wife.

3. College - Buster Keaton lite. Fun set pieces but pretty short on story.

No comments:

Post a Comment