Saturday, January 12, 2019

Best of '18: If Beale Street Could Talk


Remember, love is what brought you here. And if you’ve trusted love this far, don’t panic now. Trust it all the way.

I admit it.... I wasn't on board with "Moonlight". I liked it, it was beautiful, but it fell prey to that curse so many movies stumbled into during my life: winning an Oscar over my favorite film of the year. Don't get me wrong, the movie is visually stunning, but I just felt that Barry Jenkins writing did not live up to the moving storyline and artistic presentation.

 "Beale St." solves that problem by starting with source material from James Baldwin. Jenkins visual style meshes perfectly with Baldwin's poetic prose. From start to finish, this films sits ups straighter and holds its head higher than other movies. This will be the first of a handful of entries to my "best of" that tackles race-related issues, but "Beale St." is so much more than that. This isn't a beautiful black film, a moving political statement, or even a masterful period piece. "If Beale Street Could Talk" is a beautiful, moving, masterpiece. It transcends the labels that we put on films. I cannot stress how gorgeous this film is. I wanted to feel the sunshine coming into the windows of the loft, I yearned to embrace the characters during their times of struggle, and I hungered to share in the love that fueled this little family. The next best thing I can do to satiate myself is to love as much as I can, in all the ways that I can, all the people that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment