Sunday, August 7, 2011

10. Dead Poets Society (1989) 9/10

Photobucket

Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary.

Quality 4/5
Enjoyability 5/5

By far the best movie I have seen for my new (still quite young) blog. I'm not really sure how I've missed this one for so many years. It's one that I am being constantly recommended and guaranteed that I would love. Who'd a thunk it? They were right. Still, I'm sort of glad that I didn't get around to watching it until now because I probably would have modeled even more of my teaching style around acting than I already do. Robin Williams does an amazing job capturing the essence of an astounding teacher not just because of his outstanding performance, but also because he is an actor by trade. Every day, it is a teacher's job to capture student's attention, imagination, and cognition. This really isn't much different from what a solid actor does when they go in front of the camera or on the stage. Another reason I'm not really sure why this movie passed me by for so long, was that it features Ethan Hawke (my confessed "man-crush") in one of his breakout roles. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Robert Sean Leonard, Josh Charles (of "Sportsnight" fame), and Kurtwood Smith (of "That '70s Show" fame) in awesome roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment